007: How to Funnel Thought Leadership into Revenue with Brian Horn
**Click Play Below to Listen**
Entrepreneurs need to constantly be thinking about lead sources and profitable strategies to generate customers. In spite of so many overpriced lead strategies, the most powerful and often underutilized lead source is your own expertise. My guest this week is Brian Horn, a best-selling author, investor and entrepreneur who helps professionals leverage their knowledge to gain authority status and national media exposure. On this episode, we explore the strategies of thought leadership and how entrepreneurs can convert their expertise into scalable revenue.
- Authority Alchemy focuses on creating authority positioning for founders, entrepreneurs and professionals who need to be seen as an expert or influencer in their particular market. That positioning is then leveraged into a new, wider audience of ideal prospects and eventual customers.
- Micro-specialization. Creating your own, very specialized area of expertise within your niche that you can be known for. Become known as the “X” guy. Those specialized niches are available everywhere.
HOW TO GET STARTED
- A great place to begin is to get referenced or quoted in media outlets.
- Reaching out to editors, contributing writers, etc. for known periodicals (Inc., Entrepreneur, Forbes, etc.) on LinkedIn Sales Navigator. Find the ones who fit your target profile, and haven’t posted anything for months.
- Press releases ought to be far more effectively used than how they’ve been in the past. Authority Alchemy applies targeted methods.
CONVERTING INTO CUSTOMERS
- Identify the loss-leader that’s a magnet to your target audience. The hook you can give away for free that will engage prospects into a funnel, and then be ready to follow that with a bigger offer. Something with even more substance which will follow the “ambition line” of the needs they have. This then creates your self-liquidating funnel.
BUILDING CUSTOMER LISTS
- Don’t focus on fast. Do it small and consistently. LinkedIn is a great place for lead list building, and 1-on-1 connections. The key factor for driving opt-ins is a high level of specificity in the outcome of your materials and giveaways. Never things like, “Double Your Revenue!”, et al. People don’t connect with ambiguity.
- “Stick with it and trust the process. So many times, when you’re doing something new, you’ll have initial success and you start to think ‘This is going to be easy! I’ve finally found it.’ Then it starts to get harder, then it gets really hard… then it sucks. Then everybody quits. But that’s typically right before it starts to track back up again… The few times I’ve stuck with it have been my biggest successes.”
NeuroAuthority.com: Free paperback copy of my new book. NeuroAuthority is the science of creating authority positioning in the subconscious area that is below the levels of controlled awareness. It’s using the proven tools of neuroscience to determine why we deem one person as an “expert” over another and then applying the research so you can use it to get more clients.
Meet Our Guest
“Can the average entrepreneur really get coverage and recognition in national media without already being a well known expert? Our guest today says, “YES!”
Best-selling author, investor and entrepreneur, Brian Ainsley Horn, helps professionals leverage their knowledge to gain authority status in their industry, then uses “authority marketing” to get them national media exposure.
His unique method has been talked about and covered on The Howard Stern Show, Wall Street Journal, Perez Hilton, CBS News , Forbes, Advertising Age and dozens of other media outlets. Brian is the co-founder of the consulting firm, Authority Alchemy, and also writes for Huffington Post and Entrepreneur Magazine about authority marketing and personal branding.